Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First steps

Norm and I have talked about owning a business since the first year we were married. We dreamed outloud about "Sweetie's," a 50's diner that would be walking distance from a high school--the perfect hangout. On a trip to the Bay Area, I got motivated to look into drive-through coffee shops. Nevermind that I was homeschooling full time and that I don't drink coffee! (This was pre-Starbucks days.) Then, it was a Dream Dinners franchise. We almost put money down on that one!

Why didn't we pursue any of these options? Mainly, the timing wasn't right. Norm also believed we should be involved in something that used both of our interests, experiences, and passions. Wouldn't it be great if we could find something we would both love, perhaps in education, where making money would be the goal but feel like a hobby!

In December 2011, my position was eliminated at LearningRx, a cognitive training company that works with students with learning issues (another franchise that we researched with some seriousness). After leaving a job I had loved, I knew I wouldn't be satisfied to just "have a job." It was time for me to reevaluate and determine what God had for the second half of my life!

Children's literature has always been my passion (see the first blog entry, April 15, 2012). When I was homeschooling, I did dream of owning a bookstore or working in children's publishing. When my friend, Lori, recently suggested how much fun it would be to own a used children's bookstore, my heart started racing--of course! A children's bookstore! It's the perfect time! It utilizes Norm's business experience (he's a CFO, nominated of OC CFO of the Year last year!) and My biggest passion.

And the more I think about it, research it, write about it, discuss it, the more I know this is the best way for me to accomplish my professional goals.

Next Thursday--the where and when of opening my bookstore Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment