Friday, April 27, 2012

Location! Location! Location!

I've gotten off my schedule this week, but I don't think any of you is married to my blog schedule, so I will just feel the freedom to change it up every now and then.  Soon, there will be more literature-related blog posts, but I am so excited about what happened today!

I decided to overcome my fear and take a look at the magical spot I have reserved (in my mind only) for Once Upon a Storybook.  It has been available since November 2011, and I have seen the inside twice.  It is PERFECT for my needs--almost like it was made just for me :-)  I haven't gone to see the space in awhile because my projected opening date keeps getting extended farther and farther out.  Although I am praying the spot will stay available for me, it just doesn't seem like that's likely for so long.

Below you will see some pictures of this darling spot.  And if you look carefully, you will see a lease sign in the window!  It is still available!  So, if you are the praying sort, please ask the Lord to hold it for me. 

Someday, where it says "Sugar Press," it will say "Once Upon a Storybook"!
That little parking spot in front of the door is just for you!

You can see Sugar Press on the right . . . on the left are many other darling shops!  Wouldn't you want to shop here?
The outside is darling with the little gable window that will always be filled with great displays.  Inside is even more amazing!  The cash wrap area is already built in, with white beadboard and a beautiful wood countertop.  On the other side of the cash wrap area is where I will have my storytime corner.  My friend and professional children's illustrator, Priscilla Burris, has offered to make a mural for me.  I know just what I want it to look like: a huge shade tree with lots of animals around the trunk, peeking in to listen at storytime.  The main wall on the left will be all white bookshelves, and there will be some shelving and display tables in the middle.  There will be children's beanbags, a small white picnic table, and two padded benches--plenty of seating for moms and kids. 

One of my favorite things about this shop is that, although it appears small (which is really what I want), behind the wall in the back is a room, perfect for a craft and party room!  I knew that wherever I leased, I would put one in, but in this location, it is here already! 

So, here it is, the beginnings of what Once Upon a Storybook will look like.  I hope you will soon be able to come visit me at Plaza Lafayette, on the corner of Newport and Irvine Blvds in Tustin!
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Looks like the perfect location, Susie. Good luck...I do hope it works out for you! I would love to visit your store when it opens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, we serve an incredible God who can make your dreams come true! My church has been renting office space ($1200 a month) as well as space at a public high school for services ($10,000 a month). Our Pastor felt as if God was telling him to pray for a facility free for 2 years and asked us to join him in prayer. In less than a month we were granted the old Land Rover Dealership for both office space and church meetings for a total of $1200 a month...this is more than 9,000 square feet of space for about 10 cents a foot per month!!! This place has been empty for 3 years and needs work, and we have seen the city move mountains in the past two weeks to get us in there and ready as quickly as possible. This is an incredible answer to prayer for an obediant Pastor and congregation. God can and will do far more than we can ever ask or imagine if we only trust and believe. Ask big things because our God is a bigger God!!! As my Pastor taught us...Ask with shameless audacity and a childlike tenacity and your will be granted spiritual capacity!!! I am praying huge things for you and am anxious to see just what God has planned for your and your bookstore!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I love your story, and your pastor's faith! There is no way to overestimate our God! When things seem impossible but then they come to pass, it is such a great reminder of how much God cares for the details in our lives and how much He actually loves us! It didn't stop at the cross! Thank you for your wonderful reminder. And pray for my location!

      Delete
  3. I don't think that's my parking spot...I've been known to spend HOURS in bookstores! Looking forward to shopping at Once Upon a Storybook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie - I just can't see anything else there, but your store! Trusting God along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is absolutely adorable,and so perfect for a children's book store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago it was a children's book store. Let's hope history repeats itself. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a darling store---I hope this works out for you. I'll be one of your first of many happy customers--the Allen family will come out for sure to see it.One great thing has already come out of the idea and that is this blog!! SO nice to read. We are all wishing you the best and praying for you.
    Love, Robyn (I am using Scott's computer right now so that is why it says Scott says...)

    ReplyDelete